The Slovak American Charitable Association (SACA), is one of the oldest not-for-profit organizations in the state of Illinois. Founded in 1915, SACA’s original mission was to assist immigrants from what are now the Czech Republic and Slovakia, to become U.S. citizens. SACA provided food, heat, medicine, clothing, rental payments and doctors’ services to the needy.
In 1977, SACA acquired an intermediate care nursing home - Rolling Hills Manor. RHM expanded twice since then, to meet the physical, social, and cognitive challenges of aging individuals of all descents. This has enabled Rolling Hills Manor to enrich residents’ lives with stimulating camaraderie under the supervision of caring and highly trained health care professionals. Today, RHM offers skilled long-term care, rehabilitation services, and respite stays, in a beautiful homelike community. In 2001, SACA built Rolling Hills Place, Independent and Assisted Living, to provide an addition to the community for more independent seniors. Today the 59 apartment homes preserve the dignity of seniors who need various levels of assistance by delivering personal care services in the privacy of their apartments whenever possible.
- 1915 - SACA was founded under the name Slovak Straz, with the original purpose of urging immigrants from the countries now known as Czech Republic and Slovakia to become citizens of the United States.
- 1925 - Mr. John Kubicek became involved just as the organization was preparing to dissolve. As its new president, Mr. Kubicek changed the name to Slovak American Charitable Association.
- Great Depression - During the depression, SACA provided the needy with food, heat, medicine, doctors’ services, clothing and rental payments to prevent eviction. Subsequently, Mr. Kubicek recommended that SACA work toward building a rest home.
- 1940s & 1950s - Members of the organization gave generously of their time and talents, sponsoring many well attended fundraising events. The SACA board of directors elected a "caseworker", to whom residents of the community were referred to for financial aid to supplement low incomes. Additionally, SACA considered several new sites for its future "retirement home."
- 1961 - Mr. John Janac served as president of SACA for 16 years, assisting Mr.Kubicek in working toward his goal of making a retirement home - a reality. Mr. Kubicek did not live to see his goal realized. He died in 1970.
- 1978 - As a result of Mr. Janac's dedicated services and Mr. Kubicek's vision, the Association acquired Rolling Hills Manor, an intermediate care nursing home. Rolling Hills Manor expanded and was soon qualified and licensed to practice as a skilled intermediate geriatric patient nursing home accepting Medicare, Medicaid and private-pay residents.
- 1992 - A $1.6 million second expansion enabled Rolling Hills Manor to become a state of the art facility - with computerized care plans, enlarged dining rooms, a new rehabilitation/physical therapy gym, and activity rooms, to meet the challenges of aging individuals of all descents.
- 1999 - Rolling Hills Campus broke ground for a 61-apartment senior living community to serve seniors who wish to live independently but may require assisted living services.
- 2003 - SACA begins a scholarship program, awarding educational grants to qualifying college students.
- Today - SACA has a community benefit policy. Financial assistance is available to qualified residents.
As a not-for-profit organization, SACA continues its commitment to serving Rolling Hills, its surrounding area and various community agencies. We are looking forward to continuing to modernize our buildings, enhance our campus, expand our services and become leaders in all aspects of providing the individualized and compassionate care for which we are known. SACA has supported this mission for more than 100 years.
Petras Heritage Museum
The Petras family's donations and hard work made this museum possible. Visit the museum, located in the gallery between Rolling Hills Manor and Rolling Hills Place, and discover vintage pieces and artifacts generously donated by the Petras family and others.